Roarke Maxwell focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation, terrorism litigation, and appeals. In the area of terrorism litigation, he has assisted in the prosecution of claims that have resulted in judgments totaling in excess of $2.7 billion against foreign states, such as Cuba and the Republic of Sudan. In 2020, Mr. Maxwell represented victims of the U.S.S. Cole bombing against Sudan before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and was instrumental in recovering a $70 million settlement on their behalf.
As an appellate advocate, Roarke has argued numerous appeals before Florida’s District Courts of Appeal and the U.S. Courts of Appeals. He has also drafted briefs for cases before the U.S. Supreme Court at both the certiorari and merits levels.
Roarke is a member of the Florida Bar, the federal bars for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, and Eleventh Circuits and the U.S. Supreme Court.
In three years at the University of Florida, Roarke earned two bachelor’s degrees with honors and was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Society. Continuing at the University of Florida Levin College of Law, he earned his juris doctorate with honors and was the recipient of a book award and the Frank E. Bryant Memorial Scholarship.
Roarke has been nominated in the international litigation category of the South Florida Daily Business Review’s Most Effective Lawyers awards in 2016 and 2020, winning in 2020.
- Vera v. Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A., 729 Fed. Appx. 106 (2d Cir. 2018)
- Harrison v. Republic of Sudan, 309 F. Supp. 3d 46 (S.D.N.Y. 2018)
- Harrison v. Republic of Sudan, 838 F.3d 86 (2d Cir. 2016)
- Vera v. Republic of Cuba, 651 Fed. Appx. 22 (2d Cir. 2016)
- Clodfelter v. Republic of Sudan, 720 F.3d 199 (4th Cir. 2013)
- PMG Collins, LLC v. R&G Enters., LLC, 30 So. 3d 605 (Fla. 3d DCA 2010)
- Friend v. I.R.R. Ltd., 29 So. 3d 1130 (Fla. 3d DCA 2010)
- Republic of Iraq v. Beaty, 129 S. Ct. 2183 (2009)
- Hall v. Pro Access, Inc., 26 So. 3d 13 (Fla. 3d DCA 2009)
- McCarthy v. Estate of Krohn, 16 So. 3d 193 (Fla. 4th DCA 2009)
- Am. Int’l Assurance SPC v. Formoso-Murias, 13 So. 3d 476 (Fla. 3d DCA 2009)
- Hall, Lamb & Hall, P.A. v. Sherlon Investments Corp., 7 So. 3d 639 (Fla. 3d DCA 2009)
- Trail Plaza Assoc., Inc. v. Zuligo Corp., 5 So 3d 684 (Fla. 3d DCA 2009)
- Rux v. Republic of Sudan, 672 F. Supp. 2d 726 (E.D. Va. 2009)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit